St. Benedict College, in conjunction with the Malta Chess Federation, officially launched a Chess Academy for students in schools belonging to the College to provide high qulaity chess lessons and to imporve the level of play of its students. The Academy is know as “St.Benedict College Chess Academy” in English or “L-Akkademja taċ-Ċess tal-Kulleġġ San Benedittu” in Maltese.
The objectives and activities for which the Academy is established are:
- to promote a healthy education for leisure, across all ages;
- to promote thinking skills through the game of Chess;
- to promote problem solving through investigative, original and creative skills;
- to promote the game of chess and make it accessible to everyone in a safe and healthy environment;
- to provide ‘expert’ training to the intermediate and advanced player/s.
The Chess Academy is an independent non-profit making organization. The income and property of the Academy will be applied to promote the objectives of the Academy. A fully equipped chess room has been set up at St. Benedict College Boys’ Secondary School with standard chess boards and pieces, chess timers, demonstration board, a video projecor and a laptop with Chess installed software to facilitate the teaching of Chess.
Chess training, as an after school programme, is open for all students aged 7 upwards. Should you require further information, do not hesitate to contact our school.